Thursday, September 27, 2012

Stuffed green peppers in the crock pot

So after scouring the internet and pinterest for a stuffed green pepper recipe that sounded like the green peppers I enjoyed as a kid, and not finding what I wanted. I pulled pieces of several different ones and made my own. I'm recording it here so that I don't forget and of course to share it with all of you.

You'll need...

A large crock pot
1 lb hamburger
1 can tomato sauce
2 sm/reg. cans diced tomatoes
1 sm/med onion
5-6 green peppers
1/2 tbs garlic powder
1/2 tbs salt
pinch of pepper
1 tbs of worcestershire sauce
1 cup of uncooked rice

Here's the simple steps...
  1. Chop off top of green peppers and remove and discard stem, reserve rest of the top for later. 
  2. Clean out seeds and membranes of green peppers. 
  3. Dice up the leftover top of the green pepper and onion.
  4. Cook hamburger, onion and diced green pepper in a large saute pan.
  5. Add worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, garlic powder, diced tomatoes.
  6. Add uncooked rice *(I originally tried cooking my rice first then adding it, but found that the rice continued to cook so much in the crock pot that it became mushy)
  7. Add 1/3 of the can of tomato sauce to mixture
  8. Place green peppers in crock pot and fill with meat/rice mixture 
  9. Dump rest of tomato sauce over peppers
  10. Cook 3-4 hrs on high in crock pot.

Sorry for the lousy photograph!

No comments:

Post a Comment