1 large loaf of fresh bread ( I usually buy the french bread from walmart or hyvee)
1/3 lb thin sliced deli ham
1/3 lb thin sliced deli roast beef
1 pkg or 10 slices of Swiss cheese
1 large can of mushrooms
1 stick of butter
1 tbsp poppy seeds
1 tsp of dried onion flakes
1/4 tsp of seasoning salt
1 tsp of lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 350. And start off by getting out a baking sheet or pan. Lay down tin foil longer than the bread ( you will add another piece of tin foil to the top when your finished putting it together, and will crinkle up the sides of the top and bottom piece to keep in the heat)
2. Lay bread on tin foil. Cut bread down the middle but not all the way through (like subway does it now)
3. Start with a layer of cheese then add a layer of each meat
4. Drain mushrooms and add them on top of the meat then a final layer of cheese
5. Make cuts on top of the bread about 2-3 inches apart and about a inch or two deep. ( your just opening up the bread to be able to pour the mixture inside of it.
6. Make the sauce by melting the butter in microwave then add lemon juice and all the seasonings
7. Mix, then using large spoon ( I use our ice cream scoop) to pour the mixture into the cuts in the bread. I also add some to the inside of the sandwich on the bottom piece of bread.
8. Place the top piece of foil on being sure to crinkle the sides of the tin foil together and pull it upwards so the juices don't run out of the foil.
9. Bake for 30-40 mins, let it sit for about 5 min or so. So that the juices can settle, then use a sharp (bread knife) to cut all the way through the cuts you already made. Enjoy!!!
|look at all that gooey goodness!!!|
When I first heard of what was in this sandwich I thought it sounded awful! I've never really been a hot sandwich kinda girl. But after tasting it I was a changed women! It is de-lish, crunchy on the outside, hot and chewy on the inside!