My whole family loves Asian food! One of my personal favorites is Chicken fried rice. However over the years I've never wanted to make it at home because it just never tasted like they make in the restaurants. That was until I discovered sesame oil and a new recipe. I'm telling you if you want to cook Asian cuisine at home than sesame oil is a must. You can find it at most chain grocery stores but if you don't want to over pay for it, hit up your local Asian market.
So here it is my version of amazing Chicken Fried Rice! You could easily make this a veggie fried rice! Just omit the chicken and teriyaki sauce.
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast (diced into bite size pieces)
1/4-1/2 C. teriyaki marinating sauce
1 small onion (diced)
1/2 cup soy sauce
4-5 cups cooked white or brown rice
4 large garlic cloves (minced)
4 tbsp sesame oil (divided)
1 pkg of frozen peas and carrots
I love a lot of veggies in mine so if I have these others on hand I use them and adjust the amount of peas and carrots by only using half the bag.
Extra veggie suggestions
1 C fresh broccoli (diced)
1 can bamboo shoots (drained)
1 can water chestnuts (drained)
1 can mushrooms (drained)
1. Dice chicken and mix with teriyaki marinating sauce. I just use enough to cover the chicken. If I happen to get this done well in advance then I will let it sit in the fridge and marinate but most of the time it only gets about 5-10 mins.
2. Prepare your rice. I use a rice cooker.
3. Add 1 tbsp of the sesame oil to a wok and let it get good and hot before adding your chicken. Cook till no longer pink inside. Remove from the wok, set aside.
4. While rice and chicken are cooking prepare your onion, garlic and any other veggies you are adding.
5. Once chicken is finished and removed, add the remaining 3 tbsp of sesame oil and heat on med-high
6. Add your onion and garlic. Stirring continuously to keep your garlic from burning. Cook until onions are clear and soft.
7. Add your veggies, cook until hot and crisp.
8. Move the veggies to the outer edges of the wok making a empty space in the center. Add the eggs to the center and scramble. Cook until set
9. Mix eggs and veggies together.
10. Add chicken to veggies.
11. Add cooked rice to wok with out mixing in.
12. Pour soy sauce over rice and mix everything together.
This makes a lot of food! It feeds my family of four and then lunch for a least 2 of us the next day.
This is my adaptation of a recipe I found at http://rachelschultz.com/2012/07/14/better-than-takeout-chicken-fried-rice/